Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Part 10: A Year in Holland - The Face I Fell in Love With

Mason's first surgery, his lip surgery, was scheduled for October 27, 2009, when he would be about 4.5 months old. After getting the choking episodes under control, our main goal in life was to keep him healthy so we wouldn't have to reschedule his surgery. Keeping a little baby with two older siblings who are in school healthy during flu season - this was going to be interesting.

We didn't do much or go many places during those months leading up to his first surgery. We spent time a lot of time at home, together, as a family; we bonded with our baby, the kids bonded with their brother. We memorized every inch of his sweet little face because we knew it was going to change and we'd lose it forever.

For this blog entry, I really think pictures will tell a better story than I could ever write.

June 4, 2009


Love at first site








A good shot of the cleft in his palate


1 month old - those eyes..



2 months old


Look at that gorgeous smile!




4 months old




This last picture was taken at Boston Children's Hospital about one hour before surgery. I was so sad to take it, knowing it would be the last one where he looked like this. It was truly bittersweet.

We fell in love with this face, all of us. As we got closer and closer to the surgery date, it became harder and harder to accept that this face was going to change. In the days leading up to Mason's surgery, Andrew, who had just turned 7, came to me very upset. He said:

"Mom, I don't want Mason to have his surgery. I love the way he looks, I don't want him to look different."

I explained to him that Mason wasn't having his surgery because of the way he looked, but so he could learn to talk and eat the way we do. He seemed satisfied with that answer but I admit, I shared his sadness. I didn't want him to look different either. He truly was perfect in our eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment